Friday, March 9, 2012

Activities for the Pirate Party

When all the kids arrived I had a table set up for them to get their pirate gear (eye patches, hats, tattoos-girls got bandanas and face jewels). Then on the table where they ate I had little swords and telescopes for them. My plan was for them to decorate them, but they pretty much grabbed them and went outside to play swords!

Here are almost all of the kids at the party, all pirated up!
We then did a little treasure hunt. I had a few activities set up for them all to complete, then they received the final clue to find the treasure. The first activity was to "dive" into the pond and find a gold coin. Laura got a few good action shots of kids jumping in!

Next they had to cross the bridge without falling off (had to step on the x's)
We made it! Before we started the games we practiced saying pirate lingo. I think I was having them say something here!

Then we turned Cooper into a pirate. I got the idea to use his face from Laura-one year at Elizabeth's party she had the girls turn E into a princess. I was planning on printing out a big 11 x 14 photo or bigger which can be kind of expensive, but then she told me to just bring in a photo to office max and enlarge the pic on a color copy. Genius! So much cheaper.
The kids waited so patiently! Here's the birthday boy!
The finished pirates.
No pirate party is complete without walking the plank! If it had been warmer I think it would have been fun to put it over a baby pool, but they would have been chilly falling in! :)


Here I'm giving them the clue to find the treasure.
It was SO difficult to find...under the baby pool! (they found it in about 2 seconds!)
Afterward we ate pizza and desserts but the pizza wasn't quite there yet, so Ryan had the idea to "sink each other's ships" by stacking up two teams of cups and then having a ball fight. The kids loved it.
Cooper loved every minute of it.
Here are the kids eating lunch.
The birthday boy with his cupcake.
We ended with opening presents and the kids ran around and played.
A picture of the "treasure", I wanted to remember it!We had such a fun time! Cooper was so sad when it was over, I think he' d like a birthday every month! :)

3 comments:

Allison said...

He would like a birthday every month but you need the other 10 (2 kids, 2 months) to recover! Fun party! I love the picture of Cooper with his cupcake. Good thing Daddy's college party experiences came in handy for a filler!! ;)

The Martys said...

What a cute party and so creative. Lots of good ideas!!

Sue said...

It was a super cute party to celebrate a super cute 5 year old. Loved all of the details!