Tuesday, February 28, 2012

An Announcement!

So my number 7 is a big announcement for us... we are ADOPTING!!!! We are SO excited about this new chapter of our lives and are very excited to tell you all about it!

We've been thinking about adopting actually since I was pregnant with Jackson. I think I always have entertained the thought of adoption, but actually started thinking about it seriously when Jackson was little. I started talking about it and Ryan was actually interested too, so we started to slowly explore the different programs and agencies, but didn't seriously start looking at things until last spring, so almost a year ago. We went to an informational meeting and were still very interested but we realized with Jackson being so young it would be better to wait awhile. So this fall was when we really started seriously looking and praying about it.

We looked around at all of our different options and finally decided on adopting internationally from China!! We will be adopting a girl (I'm already excited for bows :)). We are using Dillon International for our agency and so far have had a really good experience with them. (I wanted to share our agency because that is something that I searched blog after blog for recommendations!)

So far the timeline is probably going to be about 1 1/2 - 3 years-anywhere in there. We have already filled out application 2 (which is a VERY lengthly application with lots and lots of documentation, references, autobiographies, etc...) and that has been accepted. The next step was attending an international adoption seminar which was so helpful. The best part was we met probably 7 other couples who are adopting through Dillon and are at the same stage that we are. I hope we can stay in contact with them because it's so helpful knowing other people who are adopting! Then we paid our first major fee and so the next step is our home study. We have to have four home studies over at least a 30 day period as per China's requirements. Our first one is actually scheduled for this Thursday!! (So please pray for me, it's an individual one with just me!) Once our home study is complete we fill out more legal paperwork called our dossier. Once that is complete, we are on the list! That means we are offically waiting for our referral.

Phew! Lots of details but the people I've already shared this with have been asking about specifics so I thought it would be good just to lay it all out here. Please email if you have any questions! I'll periodically update on how things are going just in case anyone is curious...just know it will most likely be a long process! We are just so excited to become a family of five!


Speaking of five, my oldest baby just turned 5 yesterday...how is that possible?!? We had his party on Saturday so I'll post pictures soon.

13 comments:

Allison said...

Yay! Love all of this - hope Thursday goes well. I KNOW it will! How could they not LOVE you?!

The Martys said...

Looking forward to adding that precious little girl to our family. Prayers for you for your first meeting. I just know it will go well.

Love to all.

Joanna B said...

It is so worth it, and so very rewarding!!
Good luck with your first homestudy visit, let me know if I can do anything!

Anonymous said...

J,
I am so excited for you all! I wanted to text you on Monday to wish Cooper a happy birthday, but I don't think I have your number anymore! I can't wait to hear more about this wonderful adventure!!

Love,
Valerie

Anonymous said...

Love this and am so excited there is going to be another girl added to the Snell family (maybe you should adopt 2 as we could use a few more, ha!)! As another person commented...how could they not love you! Looking forward to the updates as I've been wondering how it's all going.
-Jodi

Sue said...

We are so excited to welcome our new little granddaughter!! Can't wait.

Kelli said...

Love this! You're already an amazing family of 4 and will be a terrific family of 5! I've been praying for you throughout this process and will add a little extra for your home visit today. :)

Anonymous said...

Roger and I are overjoyed at the thought of having a sweet new granddaughter to love. We will keep you all in prayer. Katie

TLEB said...

I can finally come online and comment!! We are so excited for you and Ryan. You are both such wonderful parents and any little girl will be so lucky to have you for parents. Elizabeth needs another girl in the family - she is way out numbered!!!

TLEB said...

I forgot to also put - we are praying and will continue praying - so glad that Thursday went so well!!

Nikki said...

We are so excited for your family! Can't wait to meet your little girl when she finally comes home! We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers!

Cole said...

Congratulations, that is so very exciting! I'm sure the interview went awesome! I love your book list - 899 - wow, that's a lot! Great Valentine pics too!

The A Family said...

wow, how wonderful! Funny a friend of mine here just submitted their "book" for China this week! I think your visit is done, so I hope it went well!