Saturday, May 4, 2013

Our Trip So Far

This is our last photo of a family of four (and a half!)!  Can't wait to post a picture of our family of five!  We took this right before we left for the airport.



 See how good our food was on the plane?  YUM!
 Our flight path!

 We landed in Hong Kong around 11pm and had a driver waiting to take us to the hotel.  This is the view from our hotel window.  Hong Kong is the city of high rises for sure!

 Pretty far down!
 Our first full day in Hong Kong...

We rode this trolley car up a very steep hill to Victoria's Peak.
 In front of the trolley car.
 The view from the peak.  Unfortunately it's been very cloudy/rainy here so it's pretty cloudy and hard to see.

 After Victoria's Peak we rode the Ferry Pier to Kowloon.  I had to take a picture of the giagantic duck in the harbor for Cooper and Jackson.  Boys isn't that funny?


After we walked Kowloon a bit we took a taxi to Nan Lian Garden and Chi Lin Nunnery.  It was beautiful.
 It was also raining, which makes it hard to enjoy an outdoor garden!

Luckily they were selling umbrellas so we were able to at least walk around and view the garden.
 This is a nunnery so there were lots of buddhas here for people to worship.  They didn't allow photos of them but it was interesting to see.


Day Two:

We rode a double decker bus (I was so proud of us for figuring out which bus to take!  Actually I should say I'm proud of Ryan because he was the one who figured it out!) down to Stanley Beach.  It's a big touristy area with a market and lots of restaurants.

Here is the start of the market.
 Shops...the aisle between the shops was SO narrow and everything was crammed very tightly together.  Interesting but we weren't really wanting to buy anything.  Plus the prices weren't as cheap as I thought they would be!
 Then we walked to the restaurant and beach area.  It was beautiful!






 I thought this was funny-obviously no one paid attention to the sign. :)
 More shops!
 We stopped and ate a slice of pizza (we are SO adventurous aren't we?) and Ryan tried a Japanese beer.
 We then took the bus back to the bus station and rode the subway to Lantau Island.  Hong Kong is fairly easy to get around-everything is in English and symbols.  We went to Lantau Island to ride these cable cars and see the biggest Buddha in the world. 
 Again though it was really cloudy so that was kind of disappointing.

 Half-way through we were completely surrounded by fog, it was almost funny that we were in this cable car trying to see the beautiful surroundings and just completely surrounded in fog!
 At the top.
 Can you see the Buddha at the very top almost completely surrounded by fog?

Afterward we came back and are now getting ready for bed!  Tomorrow we get up and catch a train to Guangzhou! 

9 comments:

Becky said...

Looks beautiful, even w/ the fog! I saw the duck on a Yahoo headline the other day and thought of you guys, lol! Claire will love reading these blog entries one day :)

TLEB said...

The kids loved seeing the duck!! We miss you all but the boys are doing great-we're anxiously awaiting the first pictures of Claire! 24 hrs now!!!!

Allison said...

Well, it's like a little honeymoon!! I guess this is your baby moon, eh? Sounds like you are having a great trip and enjoying yourselves, too bad the weather isn't perfect. You won't care about that when you hold your little girl though, can't wait for that!!

Nikki said...

Looks like you guys are having a great time and finding lots to do while you wait to finally see Claire! SO excited for you guys!

Nikki said...

Looks like you guys are having a great time and finding lots to do while you wait to finally see Claire! SO excited for you guys!

The Rogers Family (Nic, Leanne, Alexa and Blake) said...

I'm so enjoying reading about your trip and looking at all your pics! It brings back awesome memories:-) I'm glad you all made it safe and are having a great time. I'm dying to see pics of you with sweet baby Clair!!! We miss you!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christine said...

Love all the pictures. Praying things so smoothly over the next couple of days! Have fun...

Gretchen said...

What fun! I was thinking about what beautiful photos you got even with all the rain and fog! It is kind of beautiful to see the buildings, trees and views covered in a foggy haze if I'd nature induced. :) I agree that Claire will enjoy reading some day about the trip you two took to come and bring her into your family! Perhaps you will go back again someday as a family!