Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Claire Day!!!

Well what a wonderful and emotional day we had!!   The day before "Claire Day"  (we are going to call that "Forever Family Day" because this is the day that we became a family of five) we took a train from Hong Kong to GZ to meet our guide.

 We happened to be sitting right next to a couple who is also adopting, and they happen to live near us! What a small world that is!  I'm hoping we can stay in touch once we get back to the states!  They took a picture of us on the train.
 Our hotel room.  We requested a suite which is really nice-very big. 
 We had the entire afternoon to ourselves after we were dropped off at the hotel so we walked around and took in the sites around GZ.
 That night we both hardly slept and we had until two before we met our guide so I took the time to start unpacking everything.  I think I brought enough food for us all! :)

 All the cute leggings and bows!
 I got all the toys packed up and ready to go...
 along with presents for her nanny and the director of her orphanage.  We weren't meeting our guide until 2 so we had all morning and early afternoon to just sit around and be nervous.  SO nervous.  I was so excited but also so nervous.  It was very similar I think to giving birth... I was so excited to finally have the boys there but I was really dreading having to go through labor.  This was the same, SO excited to finally meet her but not looking forward to her being so sad and confused.
 Here we are waiting for Claire!  There were quite a few other families there waiting for their children, I'd say at least 10 families.
 Then all of a sudden they said, "she's here!"  So we walked around the corner and there she was!!! I was very teary-eyed walking into the center but it was so quick when they handed her to us that I didn't even have time to cry! :)  (Our guide is in the background video taping)


 She was so so good.  She was so overwhelmed and scared, I could feel her little heart beating so fast.  She only cried about 1 minute, the rest of the time just looked around at everything going on around her.
 She actually made eye-contact with us right away which I was so happy about!  Sometimes everything is just so overwhelming for the children that they shut down and don't look at you for awhile.
 We were able to sit there and get to know her for probably 10 minutes and then her nanny came over and we were given the opportunity to ask her some questions and take a photo with her.

 Then we were done!  We left as quickly as possible-that's one nice thing about not traveling with a group, we don't have to wait on a big group.  Although it would be nice to have others going through it with us!  Luckily we have still met other very nice families.
 We went to a huge grocery store to get a few snacks, cereal, and baby food, then went back to the hotel and fed her.

She ate right away!  She does NOT like the formula I brought but will drink water/juice so at least she's getting fluids.
 The entire rest of the day we just spent hanging out with her.  She didn't cry at all, just looked around and kind of interacted a little bit with us.  We were able to get her to stand but she's very wobbly and weak.  She mostly wants to be held by us.
 She took a few steps with daddy holding her hands. 
 I didn't want to change her out of the outfit she came to us in so she'd  stay as comfortable as possible, but I did find a flower to match the outfit :).
She was so tired that at night we bounced her a bit, layed her down, and she was out for the night without a peep!  She slept until 6 am, it was amazing!!!    It was a wonderful first day with Claire, and we are so so thankful for her!!

14 comments:

The Martys said...

Oh my goodness, she is just beautiful and I am soooo glad you finally have her. What an amazing day for you and I hope the days to follow will continue to get better and bette. Lots of love and prayers to you all.

J Willis said...

Tears tears tears (of joy of course)
Wow!!!!!
So happy for you!!!!
She is beautiful!

Kelli said...

You guys look so happy! I love reading this! Sending lots of love and prayers. Hope you're having a wonderful day today with your daughter!

Unknown said...

Wow - that is so wonderful!!! I love seeing so many smiles, she is just precious!!! Congrats to your new forever family!! Love ya!

Justin said...

Just so happy for you guys. She is wonderful and I can't wait to meet her.

The Rogers Family (Nic, Leanne, Alexa and Blake) said...

She is absolutely gorgeous!! I've been checking everyday to see pics of her and I totally teared up when saw you all with her. Ryan's face was beaming...love it:-) Congratulations guys!!! We are so happy for you and I can't wait to meet her:-)

Nikki said...

Yay! I'm so glad you're able to update your blog while you're there! She is beautiful and I'm so happy the day is FINALLY here for her to be with you! I'm so incredibly happy for your family! Love you guys!

Rich, Steph, Will and Zoe x said...

Wow! Amazing!!! We are so happy for you all. Best wishes for a safe trip back home. Sending lots of love.x

Becky said...

WOW WOW WOW!! I've been checking constantly for this post :) So excited for you guys! She's beautiful and you all look wonderful! Praying Day 2 went as well or better! Can't wait to meet her!

Allison said...

Wow. wow. wow. How could I NOT cry?! I am so happy for you all and what a sweet collection of pictures!! Hooray! More!!

* Just noticed that I am saying wow wow wow like the comment above by Becky, but I have to leave it because that was my first thought. I think Becky and I would get along! ;)

Gretchen said...

Oh my goodness I am so so happy for you! Was it amazing that you could just walk in, pick her up, and off you go to your new life! I love how happy you and Ryan are in your photos...genuine elation and glee! She must be so confused and yet so comfortable to be able to sleep through the night and be so at ease with you!!! Can't wait to read more!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So wonderful! I love the pictures! She is beautiful!!
Leanne told me that you posted earlier and Holly & I sat in a parking lot forever just looking at your pictures (I couldn't post a comment from my phone).
I am so happy to hear that your first day with Claire went so well.
I hope you and your daughter have an amazing first Mother's Day together in China... how special will that be for you two!
Can't wait until you guys are home! Congrats! Love ya!!

Robin Kelm Photography said...

She's beautiful, congratulations! I'm so happy she is so comfortable and it was a smooth transition for everyone.

TLEB said...

Yay yay yay! I loved reading that! I saw all the pictures you emailed but it was so wonderful to read how it all went! You five area all so lucky to have each other. I was so happy to hear how well your first day with your daughter went.